My Family

If you are new to this blog and want to read the entire story chronologically - please start in January with "Our Story, Part 1"

Sunday, April 25, 2010

“Everyone’s a Critic” Part 1

My son Preston loves to quote one-liners from movies or TV shows. Granted we haven’t had TV per se for about five years, but we do watch a lot of movies from the library and we own the entire collection of seasons 1-9 of "Full House" (I think that is where he got the above quote).

Earlier this week I was in the kitchen as Preston walked through the front door from school. He sat down in a chair with a huge sigh and said “Everyone’s a critic.” I wasn’t sure what he meant so I said “What do you mean by that?”

Preston at "Toads Fun Center" celebrating his birthday earlier this month


He said, “Girls are mainly critics” – so I said “Okay Preston, you be the critic, what could I do better for you as a mother to make you happy?” Preston thought about it for 10 seconds and said with a little smirk on his face “feed me more.” Then he said, “Actually, I am pretty happy.” So ended that, but I kept thinking about criticism we receive (and give) everyday.

I get the local daily newspaper and in the Saturday Religion Section I found an article titled:


“Most of us come with strengths and weaknesses”

by Chris Karcher. Here is a small excerpt:

Who is bugging you these days? Anybody?
Disregard extremists and radicals such as terrorists, pedophiles and hooligans. Instead, consider your relationships with family, friends and acquaintances.

What bothers you about them? Are they greedy? Disagreeable? Arrogant? Argumentative? Rude? Critical? Controlling? Self-centered? Mean? Insensitive? Impatient? Ah, the list of possibilities is long.

Psychologists say other people’s traits that bug us are likely traits within ourselves we deny or suppress. This is called projection. We project onto other people that which we deny in ourselves.

It’s not always projection particularly if we don’t feel an emotional twinge when observing an attribute in another. But people who get under our skin may be reflecting some of our own personality traits back to us…..

Jesus wanted us to see ourselves for who we are. He taught before we judge others, we should look within ourselves.

It is freeing to acknowledge the truth: we are not perfect, but God loves us anyway.

Bringing the reality of our shortcomings to light makes us more understanding and increases our sense of compassion for others.


More to come...

3 comments:

  1. Camille,
    Every now and then I seek a peek at your blog. I enjoy reading the story. It is an amazing story and your have told it beautifully. We are so blessed to have birth parents that have given us the greatest gift we could ask for, the ability to be parents. I hope and pray every day that they know of our love for them.Please continue to share your experiences with your family.
    It is so funny to read Preston's comment and remember that little boy who spend hours in my home playing with Amber and Kaitlin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true ... but most critics in life do seem to be girls. Why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky and Kristen!

    I don't know if you will still get the answer to your comments since my blog is private now, but please send me your e-mail address so I can add you to my private list. camhenrie@gmail.com

    Becky, it was sooooo good to hear from you!!! I miss hanging out with you and having our children get together!

    ReplyDelete